Sunday 21 December 2008

2008: My Year In Lists

Now then, 2008 was quite a year for music, it saw yet another Oasis album (which wasn’t actually that bad), The Verve got back together and The Killers released a record that sounds like the Pet Shop Boys, are we still in the 90’s?

Kings of Leon sold themselves out to every apprenticeship builder up and down the country, and to those girls who wear those belts with ‘rock’ glued on in those horrible shiny sequins. Yeah, I’ve lost respect for KOL, now that they appeal to this riff raff of a crowd.

For once I actually agreed with the Mercury award nomination winner, Elbow. Although I think their ‘song’ (we all know which one), will replace ‘that Sigur Ros song’ as to what will be played at the end of a Hollyoaks Christmas Special on Christmas Day.
During the year I have managed to listen to rather a lot of music, some new, some old, rediscovered my love for Neil Young and lost yet another iPod.

These lists define my ‘Top Whatever’, music charts for 2008.


Top 10 Albums:


10. Why? – Alopecia (anticon)
9. Peter Broderick – Home (Bella Union)
8. Ratatat – LP3 (XL)
7. British Sea Power – Do You Like Rock Music? (Rough Trade)
6. Takka Takka – Migration (Ernest Jenning)
5. The Dodos – Visiter (Frenchkiss)
4. Los Campesinos! – We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed (Wichita)
3. No Age – Nouns (Sub Pop)
2. Fuck Buttons – Street Horrrsing (ATP)
1. The War On Drugs – Wagonwheel Blues (Secretly Canadian)


Gig of the Year:

Shout Out Louds @ Camden, Dingwalls, 6th August

I love it when you attend a show, small one at that, and you find yourself singing along to every word, tapping your hands against your thigh and feeling sweat build up on your back. thats whats make a gig! 4th time I've seen this band, and if they continue to produce the goods, they might even challenge The Thrills for my crown of Best Band Ever award. nah. This show though was full of energy, from start to finish. The encore included a rather small stage invasion during their popular 'Tonight We Have To Leave It'. Note perfect (as always), and let's just hope that 2009 see's a new album from this lot. (even though it took over a year to release their second here in the UK). fingers crossed for more shows also.

Lyric of the Year:

'As if I walked into the room to see my ex-girlfriend
Who by the way, I'm still in love with
Sucking the face of some pretty boy
With my favourite band's most popular song in the background
Is it wrong that I can't decide which bothers me most?'


_
It's Never That Easy Though, Is It? (Song For The Other Kurt)
Los Campseinos!
We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed (Wichita)


Artwork of the Year:

of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping


(this doesn't do it justice. it's a wonderfully crafted, fold out design. although most of you lot will see it as a waste of paper) It's also a really good album, although it takes a few listens to get into the swing of things (that's if you're not familiar with of, Montreal that is)


Top 10 Tracks of the Year

10. Ribs Out – Fuck Buttons (Street Horrrsing)
9. I Lust U – Neon Neon (Stainless Style)
8. One Day Like This – Elbow (The Seldom Seen Kid)
7. Young Love Delivers – Oxford Collapse (Bits)
6. It's Never That Easy Though, Is It? (Song For The Other Kurt) – Los Campesinos! (We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed)
5. Oliver James – Fleet Foxes (Fleet Foxes)
4. Nothing Ever Happened – Deerhunter (Microcastle)
3. Arms Like Boulders – The War On Drugs (Wagonwheel Blues)
2. For Emma – Bon Iver (For Emma, Forever Ago)
1. Hey Housebrick – Hot Club de Paris (Live At Dead Lake)


Worst Album of the Year:

Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs (Atlantic)

Why has, I Will Possess Your Heart (the albums only decent song) got a 4 minute instrumental intro?

...boring, boring, boring. Next.


Music DVD of the Year;

The National - A Skin, A Night

This is a great documentary directed by Vincent Moon (yes ok, I did emulate his style in my recent video of Milan, but thats another issue). This captures the band in their true format. It's an insight of the band recording their album Boxer, which was released in 2007.



2009 is the Year of:

Camera Obscura

Yes please. album. gig.


And Finally, , ,

2008 BAND OF THE YEAR

THE WAR ON DRUGS

Amazing band. Their record Wagonwheel Blues is one that I cannot stop listening to. Within this record there is hints of Bob Dylan, Neil Young style vocals, the attitude of an early Charlatans record, and the experimentation of an Animal Collective record. So much so, I listened to this album so much I decided to make a video for A Needle In Your Eye #16, which you can see via my page. (it was later seen by the band, which got me into a gig for free).
True. Also got trashed with Adam (Vocals) in the Bar after the show.
Let's hope they visit the UK again next year, their live shows are something else.





Thank you for reading, as always, I would love to hear your views on what I have listed. Please do check these out if you haven't already (except Death Cab...seriously don't).
Let me know what you think. yeah?!
YEAH!

there is more albums I wanted to mention, like Bon Iver's lovely debut For Emma, Forever Ago (which would of been #11). R.E.M., The Mae Shi, Tokyo Police Club, Vessels, Maybeshewill, Deerhunter and Frightened Rabbit all released brilliant albums also. But it was a tough decision to break it down to a TOP 10. but, I done it.

I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas & A Musical New Year!

Aaron

-x-

No comments: